During the summer, turning on the oven is about the last thing most people want to do. (I bought an Air Fryer for just this reason!) Using the waffle iron to make this tasty sausage and roasted garlic waffle pizza is fun and helps keep the temperature down in your house.
When we were visiting family in Boise, Idaho this year, my sister, Ali, had all the family over to her house for dinner. Keep in mind there are almost more kids in our family than adults and I thought her dinner idea for Waffle Pizza was amazing!
The kids loved customizing their own pizzas and were tickled by the idea of having waffle shaped pizza.
The idea was so simple and yet original, I knew I had to share it as soon as I got home. You can make the pizza dough yourself if you want, but using the store-bought stuff is actually pretty dang good.
After heating the waffle iron and spraying it with cooking spray, lay a rectangular piece of the pizza dough across the middle and close the lid. Take it out when it’s puffed up and slightly browned, and voilá, pizza crust! Layer the ingredients of your choosing on top and broil it in the oven until everything is hot and melty. The end. What could be more simple than that?!
Sausage and Roasted Garlic Waffle Pizza
- Pizza stone or baking sheet
- 1 pre-packaged pizza dough
- 1 jar pizza sauce
- Cooked Italian sausage
- Black olives
- Banana peppers
- Roasted garlic
- Green onions
- Roasted chicken
- Mixed spring greens
- Fresh or grated mozzerella
- Heat waffle iron and pre-heat the oven to Broil.
- Roll out pizza dough and cut into equal sections, no bigger than your waffle iron.
- Spray the waffle iron with cooking oil to make sure the dough doesn’t stick. Place the dough in the center and close the lid. Leave in until the dough is cooked all the way through and lightly brown on top.
- Spread sauce over the crust, then layer with your favorite toppings. Leaving the cheese for last. This lets you get that nice bubbly melty cheese at the end.
- Place the pizza on a baking sheet and put in the oven on the second rack from the top. You don’t want the cheese to burn before everything gets warm. When everything is bubbling nicely, remove the pizza, slice, and serve.